Are you thinking about getting breast implants? There are many things you need to consider.
Ask your female companions with naturally round or hanging breasts about exercise and they will tell you the same thing — if they are too large or too round, breasts can make physical activity challenging. The same problem arises in women with disproportionate breast implants for their body type and lifestyle.
In addition, although an active lifestyle can strengthen muscles and trim waistlines, less fat means less natural breast tissue for several women, which can wreak havoc on their self-esteem.
Saline vs. Silicone for Active Women
If you live an active lifestyle, choosing implants that are appropriate for your body and fitness level is essential. Carefully selected breast implants can be harmonious with many fitness activities, including running, dancing, and even weightlifting.
To help make an informed decision about breast implants below is a comparison between two of the most popular types: saline and silicone. Both have particular pros and cons for active patients.
Are Silicone Implants Right for You?
Silicone breast implants also referred to as gummy bear implants, are filled with a cohesive gel that holds safely and uniformly. They deliver a natural feel that closely resembles breast tissue and are growing in popularity because of their excellent performance and satisfying outcomes.
To be specific, some women with active lifestyles favor Silicone MemoryGel® and Silicone MemoryShape® breast implants for many reasons. They include:
- Superior long-term shape with an enhanced projection
- Lower rates of rupture, rippling, and capsular contracture
- Reduced likelihood of malposition
- Better long-results
- More natural feel
Further, silicone breast implants are available in both round and teardrop shapes.
What Are the Cons of Silicone Implants?
Some disadvantages of these pre-filled implants include:
- Gummy bear implants usually cost more than the older saline option
- They are pre-filled to a certain size, cannot adjust like with saline implants
Are Saline Breast Implants Right for You?
Symmetry and flexibility are important factors for women desiring to improve their breast size. As a result, some of our patients prefer saline implants because of their adjustable fill.
Implant placement involves inserting an empty shell into the breast through an incision. Then, a skilled plastic surgeon fills the shell with an appropriate amount of sterile saltwater solution. Because saline implants are adjustable, they use a slightly smaller incision that minimizes scarring. And although uncommon at our facility, saline implant rupture is easier to detect because the breast will deflate.
Saline breast implants achieve are firmer than the soft silicone gel breast implants. They are ideal for women who do not wish to have silicone implants, as well as for those who desire a perky, “Baywatch” look. In the right patient and with proper placement, saline implants can also look natural but not as natural as silicone implants. They often cost less than silicone breast implants but are becoming less popular due to some disadvantages.
What Are the Cons of Saline Implants?
A few disadvantages of saline breast implants include:
- Saline implants often weigh more than silicone implants
- The percentage of implant rupture and complications are higher
- They tend to feel firmer and less like natural breast tissue compared to silicone implants
- Many patients can see rippling of the implant
Tips for Making an Informed Decision
Getting breast implants is a tremendous personal investment. However, it is not a decision that should be made lightly or in a hurry. Rushing might influence you to choose the wrong shape or go too big, which may impair you from running, jumping, or performing certain physical activities with ease. Go too small, and you may feel underwhelmed with your new look.
Whether you suffer from breast volume loss or want to enhance your chest size, follow these tips to achieve the best possible results:
- Compare notes or seek others’ opinions. It is a good idea to speak with your friends, family, or partner about choosing the correct breast implant for your body and lifestyle. Be open to other people’s opinions and suggestions, especially if they have your best interests at heart.
- Knowledge is power. From a plastic surgeon’s point of view, we recommend learning as much about the specific shapes and sizes, surgery incisions, and types of breast implants on the market. Knowing your reasons also play a role in your decision making.
- Know your budget. Consider the cost of your preferred implant. For example, teardrop-shaped implants are more expensive since they require a textured surface to prevent rotation and a trained surgeon to place them. If you want natural breast augmentation results and silicone implants are not within your budget, knowing the costs in advance will help you prepare and save, instead of settling for the cheaper option.
- Seek professional advice. It is important to understand that no two breast augmentations are alike. Just because saline implants looked beautiful on your best friend does not mean that the same implant will be the right choice for you. This is why plastic surgeons always recommend face-to-face consultations.
Receive an In-Depth, Step by Step Consultation
An open discussion with an experienced, knowledgeable, and award-winning plastic surgeon about your desired enhancement is a must.
Dr. Aldo Guerra is a board certified plastic surgeon with extensive experience in working with diverse groups of women, including those with low body fat and active lifestyles. During your consultation with him, he will consider your preference, the projection for your chest wall, and make careful measurements before deciding on your implant shape.
There is no need to let your beautiful lifestyle stop you from getting the breasts you want. Despite the belief of others, breast implants can enhance your appearance without intervening with your life. If you want to learn more about your options for breast augmentation in Arizona, call our office at 480-970-2580. You may also schedule a consultation by completing our online form.
We look forward to helping you love your look and maintain your lifestyle.